Yield: 6 servings
This tasty little “oven cake” is a lot like an apple dutch pancake – more “egg-y” than “cake-y.” It comes together quickly and makes for a delightful breakfast (or dessert!) served with a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 sweet apple, such as Fuji, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- fresh lemon juice
- fat free Greek yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt butter in a 12-in ovenproof frying pan over high heat. I use a cast iron pan.
- Add maple syrup and cinnamon; swirl to combine.
- Add apple and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the eggs, salt, flour, and milk.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and bake until puffed and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve warm with a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt.
Source: Adapted from a recipe in Sunset Magazine, originally submitted by Peter Zensius of San Francisco.