Yield: 4 burger patties
For a vegan version of these burgers, replace the egg by mixing 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons water. Allow mixture to sit for 2 minutes before using. These are delicious topped with avocado, salsa and melted jack cheese.
If you cook your own black beans for this recipe, cook a lot and use them during the week in soups, sides and salads including one of my favorites – Polenta and Black Bean Casserole.
- 3 green onion tops, chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (you can use gluten-free oats)
- Heat the oven to 375°. Place aluminum foil on a sheet pan. Spray the foil well with pan release.
- Add the green onion tops and cilantro to the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the egg, cumin, garlic powder, salt, chili powder and ground pepper. Add this mixture to the food processor and process to mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the oats to the food processor and combine until the oats are finely chopped. Whole oats should no longer be visible.
- Add the black beans and corn to the food processor. Pulse to combine so that the beans and corn kernels stay chunky.
- Divide the mix into 4 equal portions, scooping it into patties and placing them on the prepared sheet pan. Bake the patties for 25 minutes, flipping them after 15 minutes.