Yield: about 9 muffins
These muffins are hearty and dense. Packed with whole grains, they are a terrific way to start your day or satisfy your snack-tooth. Use the leftover bulgur to make Bulgur Pilaf with Roasted Squash and Mint.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 star anise
- 1 cup bulgur (will yield approximately 2 1/2 cups cooked bulgur)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup golden raisins
Procedure for bulgur:
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and star anise to a boil. Add 1 cup bulgur to boiling water mixture. Stir to combine. Lower heat to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Leave the lid on and set aside to cool. Remove the star anise from the cooked bulgur and discard.
Procedure for muffins:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Fill a muffin pan with muffin cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg .
- In a small mixing bowl, combine yogurt, egg, and honey.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Add one cup cooked bulgur (reserve the rest for another use). Add the raisins. Stir just to combine.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.