Yield: 4 servings
This recipe makes good use of cooked brown rice (see guidelines for cooking brown rice below). It’s a delicious side dish with grilled meats or sausage. It also make a satisfying lunch on its own.
- 1-2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced thin, white and green parts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4-5 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning blend (in the spice section at the market)
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, vinegar, Cajun or Creole seasoning, and thyme.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice, kidney beans, green pepper, and green onions.
- Add dressing and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe source: foodnetwork.com
Guidelines for preparing short grain brown rice:
- Rinse 1 cup brown rice in cold water. Dry rice by toasting over moderately low heat in a saucepan.
- Boil 1 ¾ cups of salted water.
- Add boiling water to 1 cup rice. It will boil vigorously – be warned.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.