Yield: 4 servings
This light, spicy soup makes for a lovely meal when paired with a fresh green salad. After pureeing the soup, add broth if necessary to achieve your desired consistency.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 8 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bay leaf, ginger, and spices, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add 5 cups of the stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until carrots are very tender. Cool slightly and then blend in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan over low heat. If the soup is too thick, add more broth until desired consistency is achieved. Stir in chopped fresh cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of plain yogurt. Garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro.