Yield: 4 small salads or dinner for 2
This is a great way to use leftover chicken. Roast a chicken for dinner one night and then use the leftovers to make this salad in the next day or two. Save the chicken carcass and make chicken stock for soup. To toast nuts in small quantities, I simply heat a skillet over medium heat and toast them until golden and fragrant. It only takes a few minutes and makes a big difference in flavor.
Ingredients for salad:
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 tart apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked chicken, sliced or shredded
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper
In a large bowl, toss to combine all ingredients. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Dress with Champagne Vinaigrette (below).
Yield: 1 cup (you will have leftover dressing – lucky you!)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- generous pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grape seed oil
In a blender, purée the shallots, mustard, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper. Measure the oil and slowly pour it into the blender with the blender running on low. Continue until oil is fully incorporated. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.