The pastry for this pot pie is less “pie” and more “biscuit” – hence the name. Make the pastry first, wrap it in plastic, and let it sit in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling ingredients. Three ounces of butter may seem like a lot, but do it. You need it to make a roux with the flour, which serves as the base for the gravy. It comes together relatively quickly for the delicious meal it delivers!
FOR THE PASTRY:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten, to brush on before baking
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced (or sub frozen crinkle cut carrots!)
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 4 cups shredded chicken meat (use meat from 1 whole roasted chicken, or bake and shred 4 chicken breasts)
- PREPARE THE PASTRY: Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Grate the butter (using a cheese grater) and use your hands to quickly work it into the dough, until it is the texture of coarse meal. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until a firm dough forms. I usually use 4-5 TB cold water. Pull it together into a ball and then flatten it into a disc. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate.
- HEAT THE OVEN to 375 degrees.
- MAKE THE FILLING: Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pot. Add the onions, carrots, a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper, and sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the chicken stock, bring it to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add the cream, and generous salt and pepper. Stir in the frozen peas and the chicken. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- ASSEMBLE THE POT PIE: transfer the prepared filling into a 9″ deep pie dish. (If you have extra filling, set it aside and save it for another day – creamy chicken soup!) Lightly dust a counter with flour and roll the pastry into a size to fit your dish. Gently lay the pastry over the filling. Crimp the edges if you like – or not. Brush the pastry evenly with egg yolk. Use a knife to cut a few vents on the top. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.