Yield: 4 quarts (feeds 6-8 as a main course)
I buy chipotle chilis in adobo sauce and puree them in the food processor. Serve this soup with chopped avocado, thinly sliced radishes and shredded cabbage for garnish. If you have leftovers, it freezes well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 quarts chicken broth (possibly more)
- 2 15-ounce cans white hominy, drained
- shredded cooked meat from 1 roasted chicken
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper (to taste); cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chipotle puree, chili powder, and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until evenly distributed.
- Add the chicken broth and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes. If the soup appears to thick for your taste simply add more broth.
- Stir in chicken and cilantro. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with garnish.