Yield: 4-6 servings
This soup is delicious! The flavor profile, described as Persian, includes turmeric, garlic, cilantro, dill, and green onions. The noodles give you the satisfaction of slurping your way through this substantial soup. Enjoy!
- 3 TB olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup green lentils
- 4 ounces whole wheat linguine, broken into small pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 6 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- plain yogurt for garnish (optional for garnish)
- Sauté onions in oil until golden brown and soft (about 25 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add a dash of salt and pepper, and turmeric – sauté for another minute.
- Add chickpeas and broth. Bring to a simmer. Add lentils and simmer to soft, about 30 minutes.
- In another pot, undercook the linguine by about 2 minutes. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Add pasta, dill, cilantro, green onion, and spinach to soup. If soup is too thick, add water a bit at a time. Add lemon juice. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve topped with a dollop of plain yogurt. Yum!
Adapted from the Los Angeles Times