Yield: 4 servings
This marinated vegetable salad is colorful, healthy, and delicious. Feel free to substitute vegetables you have on hand – sliced radishes, zucchini, sugar snap peas, red onion, you name it – they all work well! This makes a nice side salad, with or without the mixed greens.
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (1 ear of corn)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced English cucumber (1/4 cucumber)
- 1/2 cup diced medium red bell pepper (1/2 pepper)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (1 rib)
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced tomato (1/2 tomato)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups mesculun or field greens
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, broccoli, tomato, and scallions. Gently toss to mix the vegetables.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, garlic, and 1/4 cup water. Blend for 10 seconds to combine. Add the basil leaves and pulse until the basil is well chopped but not pureed. Set aside 1/4 cup of dressing. Pour the remaining dressing over the chopped vegetables and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to lightly marinate the vegetables.
- When ready to serve, pour the reserved 1/4 cup dressing over the mixed greens, season with the salt and pepper, and toss together to coat. Divide the greens among four salad plates. Toss the marinated vegetables and spoon them over the mixed greens. Serve.
Source: Golden Door Cooks at Home