Yield: 4 servings (about 3/4 cup each)
This hot breakfast cereal combines whole grains, fruit and nuts for a satisfying start to the day. Cooking wheat berries takes a little time, so make them ahead and freeze them. Just thaw the wheat berries in the refrigerator overnight.
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cooked wheat berries (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- Bring milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in oats, raisins and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked wheat berries and cook until heated through, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in cinnamon; let stand for 1 minute. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and brown sugar (optional) and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving: 340 Cal; 6 g Fat; 59 g Carb; 14 g Protein; 7 g Fiber
Procedure for cooking wheat berries:
Rinse wheat berries. Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add 1 cup wheat berries. Simmer, covered, about 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain wheat berries and set aside to cool. Yield: approx 2 1/2 cups cooked wheat berries.