Yield: 4 servings
Quinoa is a complete protein, so this salad makes for a satisfying lunch with a piece of fruit. The toasted coconuts and almonds add a nice crunch and toasty finish, so don’t skip this step.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup unpeeled, diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Toast the coconut for 3-4 minutes (it doesn’t take long) until evenly golden brown. Toast the sliced almonds for about 6-8 minutes until evenly golden brown. Set aside.
- Rinse 1 cup quinoa thoroughly in cold water. In a small saucepan, toast the quinoa over moderately low heat.
- While the quinoa toasts, boil 1 ¾ cups of salted water in a separate pan. Slowly add the boiling water to the toasted quinoa. It will boil vigorously – so be warned. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the oil, vinegar, apricot preserves, curry powder, dried mustard, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the quinoa, coconut, almonds, cucumbers, green onions, and vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.