Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon adobe sauce (or puréed chipotle chilies)
- 1/4 cup grape seed or vegetable oil
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Bring 4 cups water to a rapid boil in a small saucepot. Add a generous amount of salt and parley to the pot. Boil for 30-35 minutes, uncovered. The finished product will be chewy but not hard. Drain (like pasta) and cool.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the lime juice, cumin, adobe sauce and oil in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the cooked barley, black beans, tomatoes, shallot, and cilantro.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve cold or at room temperature.