Yield: 4 servings
If you make the cilantro oil ahead of time, this dish comes together for company really quickly. It’s a delicious and colorful take on rice as a side dish.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger, divided
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoons (or more to taste) rice vinegar
- Rinse and drain rice. Bring broth and 1 teaspoon minced ginger to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer (covered) for about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chopped cilantro, green onion, and minced ginger in mini-processor. Add both oils and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Blend until almost smooth. Season cilantro oil to taste with salt, pepper, and vinegar. This can be made ahead of time.
- Transfer cooked rice to bowl. Mix in cilantro oil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Adapted from Bon Appetit