Yield: 6 servings
This recipe calls for a crock pot, which is a great way to cook while you are otherwise occupied. To save time in the morning, simply saute the vegetables (see Step 1) the night before and refrigerate them. Take a few minutes in the morning to assemble the ingredients and you won’t be disappointed when you get home!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 10 – 16 ounces cooked chicken or turkey, cubed or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 28 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 15 ounces cooked white beans
- 7 ounces salsa verde (green salsa)
- 7 ounces diced green chilis
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and cilantro. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onions are soft and transparent. Add the chicken and remove from the heat. (You may refrigerate this mixture overnight.)
- To the crock pot, add the chicken mixture, the corn, enchilada sauce, white beans, salsa verde and green chilis.
- Cook the stew on high for 4 hours, on low for 8 hours. This is delicious served over brown rice or as a filling for burritos with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro.