Yield: 4 servings
Pistou is a cold, rustic sauce – much like pesto. It’s super yummy. This version relies on dill and toasted pistachios for a robust, fresh flavor bold enough to compliment the grilled salmon. Be sure you select salmon from a reliable source.
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (about 2)
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, toasted, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets
- For the pistou, mix dill, green onions, pistachios, and oil in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Prepare the grill for medium-high heat. Make sure it is clean and well-oiled before putting the fish on to cook. I oil my grill by dousing a few paper towels with oil and then using a pair of long tongs to rub the towels on the grill. Also, make sure that the vents are open on the grill so that oxygen can circulate with the cover closed.
- Let the salmon sit on the counter for about 20-30 minutes before grilling. Brush it on both sides with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Put the salmon on the grill, skin side up, for 4-5 minutes, with the cover on. Flip the salmon and let the other side cook for 3-4 minutes, or until just opaque through the center.
- Remove salmon from the grill and top each fillet with pistou. Serve the additional pistou along with the meal – it’s so good – they will ask for more!
Adapted from Epicurious.com