Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 lemons
- rice vinegar, splash
- olive oil, splash
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in cold water. Add the rinsed quinoa to a small saucepan over medium heat. Toast it until it dries, turns golden, and smells deliciously toasty. Meanwhile, boil 1 ¾ cups of salted water. Add the boiling water to the toasted quinoa. It will boil vigorously – be warned. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combined chopped red pepper, onions, cilantro and chickpeas.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine the juice from 2 lemons, a splash of rice vinegar and a splash of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add quinoa to mixing bowl with other ingredients and toss to dress with lemon juice mixture. Add additional lemon juice, olive oil and salt/pepper to taste.