Yield: 1 loaf, 2 small loaves, or 6-8 muffins
This delightful treat was a hit with my neighbors. Cooking time will vary depending on what form you choose. Just watch closely and remove your treats from the oven once a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (keep oil warm to keep it from solidifying)
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup carrot juice, room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray baking pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, baking soda and spices together, and then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix coconut oil (keep it warm so it does not solidify) and palm sugar together. Add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, carrot juice, grated carrot and crushed pineapple – mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just mixed. Fold in raisins and almonds.
- Bake at 325 degrees in small decorative molds, loaf pans, or muffin tins (use pan release cooking spray) for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and removed clean.
Adapted from Rouge Tomate’s The Vine