Yield: One 8-inch oval loaf
With the whole grains, golden raisins, and caraway seeds, this hearty bread is both savory and sweet. It makes a nice addition to dinner or breakfast.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat four
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, caraway seeds, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the melted butter and mix well. Add the yogurt and mix on a low speed for a minute or two, until the dough comes together. Add the raisins and mix just to combine.
- Using your hands, gather the dough into a ball and form it into an 8-inch long oval. It will not be perfectly smooth – that’s okay. Place it on the prepared baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to make a cut down the middle of the loaf about one inch deep and five inches long.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust feels crispy and the bottom has started to brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.