This savory bread pudding is outrageously delicious. It makes a wonderful meatless main dish and enjoys center stage at brunch.
Yield: 1 9-inch round / 8 large pieces
- 8 cups 1-inch diced baguette (leave the crust on)
- 6 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup white wine
- 15 ounces (wby eight) marinated artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 teaspoons minced tarragon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 325° convection.
- Place bread cubes on a sheet pan and toast them for 9 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the leeks, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until the wine almost evaporates and the leeks are tender.
- Off the heat, in a large bowl, combine the leek mixture with the artichokes, toasted bread cubes, chives and tarragon.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add this to the leek mixture. Add most of the mozzarella and most of the Parmesan cheese to the bowl (reserve a bit of each for sprinkling on top). Toss to combine wet and dry ingredients thoroughly. Allow the mixture to soak for 10 minutes.
- Spray a 9-inch spring form pan with pan release. Add soaked mixture to the spring form pan. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake for 1 hour until puffed and slightly golden on top.
Source: Barefoot Contessa