These vegetarian meatballs are super hardy and delicious! They taste great dipped in tomato sauce or pesto. They are also great on the run and they make a perfect lunch. For me, they fall into the same “triple threat” category occupied by the Quinoa Patties – simply satisfying super foods!
To cook green lentils for this recipe, you want them soft. Simply add them to salted boiling water and boil them for about 25 minutes or so. Drain them like you would pasta and proceed with the recipe. 1 cup dried lentils will yield about 2 cups when cooked.
Yield: 10 1/4-cup size balls
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- olive oil
- fine sea salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for one minute. Add the garlic, the Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for another 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place cooked lentils in a food processor with tomato paste and a splash of olive oil. Pulse until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the yogurt and whisk to combine until smooth. Add the lentil mixture and stir to combine. Add the onion mixture, Parmesan, and breadcrumbs. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil (use a light hand here) and bake for about 8-10 minutes. Turn the balls and bake for another 5 minutes until slightly browned.
Adapted from goop.com