Yield: 10 to 12 servings
I love this corn bread because it’s super moist and sweetened with maple syrup. You can also use this recipe to make muffins or mini-muffins; just watch the cooking time so as to not overcook them. Enjoy!
- 2 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375. Cover a 9x9x2 metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk yogurt, milk, eggs, and maple syrup in a large bowl to blend. Add cornmeal mixture and stir until just evenly moistened. Do not over-blend. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until bread is golden and cracked on top and tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool bread completely in pan on rack.
Adapted from The Bon Appétit Cookbook, 2006