Yield: Serves 12 (a half-batch works well!)
I found this recipe in my Mom’s old recipe box, written in one of her best friends’ hand. Old school – maybe. Delicious – definitely! And, yes, it’s this easy.
- 2 pounds small white navy beans
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 3 cups celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Soak and cook beans according to package directions; be careful not to overcook. Drain and set aside.
- Marinate beans with remaining ingredients, tightly covered, for 8 hours or more, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!