Yield: 1 9×13 cake, 1 bundt cake, or several small cakes
One night at book club, our hostess (thanks, Kirsten!) served this cake and I about fell out of my chair. I’ve also made it with almond oil instead of olive oil – equally delightful!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 each large eggs
- 10 fluid ounces milk
- 12 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated orange (or lemon) zest
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan (or other pan/s of choice) with non-stick cooking spray. Dust the inside of the pan with flour. Spray it with non-stick cooking spray again.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well, smoothing the batter completely. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes (for 9×13 pan), about 45 minutes (for a bundt pan), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. If you choose small pans, you will need to adjust the baking time down, accordingly.
- If using a bundt pan, allow cake to cool for 10 minutes before inverting cake onto a baking rack to cool. Allow to cool before slicing. Serve at room temperature.