Yield: 4-6 servings
These mashed potatoes rock. You won’t miss the butter or cream!
- 4 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons (or more) low-salt chicken broth
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 6-ounce package baby spinach
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Stir over low heat until excess moisture evaporates, 1 to 2 minutes. Using potato masher, mash warm potatoes. Mix in 6 tablespoons oil and 6 tablespoons chicken broth and stir to blend. Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and toss 1 minute. Add basil leaves and toss until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer mixture to sieve set over bowl. Drain well. DO AHEAD: Potatoes and spinach mixture can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand separately at room temperature.
- Rewarm potatoes, adding more broth to moisten as needed. Stir in spinach mixture. Mound potatoes in bowl and serve.