Yield: 8 servings
This dessert is high impact and easy for entertaining. The meringues and lemon curd can be made ahead of time and assembled at the last minute.
Ingredients for Meringues:
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup organic white cane sugar
Ingredients for Lemon Curd:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- dash of salt
- 2 6-ounce packages fresh berries
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 4 egg whites and cream of tartar into a clean, dry, stainless-steel or glass mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Once you’ve achieved some volume, gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stuff peaks form.
- Divide egg white mixture into 8 even dollops on baking sheets. Shape meringues into “nests” using the back of a spoon to create a crater in the center of each meringue (where the lemon curd and berries will eventually go).
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, rotating the baking sheets after 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the baking sheets in the oven, with the door closed, for two hours. Remove from the oven.
- For the lemon curd, whisk the whole eggs and 1 egg white in a medium bowl. Secure the bowl on the counter by making a nest out of a dish towel and setting the bowl on top. You will need to be able to whisk without holding the bowl it in the next step.
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar, lemon rind, juice, corn starch, and salt over medium-high heat in a small, heavy saucepan until tiny bubbles form around the edge. Gradually (very gradually), add the hot juice mixture to the egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. (This is called “tempering” the eggs. Basically, you are bringing them up to temperature with the juice mixture by adding it slowly. Otherwise you’d have scrambled eggs.)
- Return mixture to saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until thick – about 2 minutes. Spoon curd into a bowl and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Divide the lemon curd evenly among the 8 meringues. Top with berries. Garnish with mint sprigs or edible flowers.
Adapted from Cooking Light