Yield: 4 servings
This salad is a new twist on an old favorite. Mayonnaise and bacon bits are replaced with cashews, mint, plain yogurt and olive oil. It’s a tasty new way to enjoy spring. If you go with fresh peas, blanch them in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes, drain, and set them aside to cool while you prepare the dressing and the remaining ingredients.
- 1 pound frozen peas, thawed (or about 4 cups fresh peas hulled from 4 pounds of English peas)
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix to combine the plain yogurt and olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, cashews, scallions, and mint. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Refrigerate for one hour before serving.