Yield: 4 servings
Fresh lemon juice, minced shallots, and a little Romano cheese go a long way towards adding nice flavor to this dish. Substitute fresh baby spinach for the arugula or Parmesan for the Romano – it’s all good!
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby arugula
- 4 quarts water
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (try Bionature Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Romano cheese
- Combine 2 teaspoons garlic, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and arugula in a large bowl; toss well.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add pasta; cook 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Add hot pasta to arugula mixture, and toss well until arugula wilts.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and shallots; sauté 1 minute or until shrimp are done. Remove shrimp from pan.
- Add broth and juice to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Return shrimp to pan. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Add pasta to pan and toss to coat. Sprinkle each serving with a bit of cheese.
Source: Cooking Light