Yield: 1 pound pickled peas
The original recipe suggests you wait two weeks before eating your peas, but I dug into mine after a day. This recipe would also work well with asparagus or green beans. I wish I knew who to credit for this recipe, but I did not keep a record of it when I clipped it. If you know the original source – let me know!
- 1 1/4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, stems trimmed and strings removed
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 or 2 small dried chili peppers, slit length-wise, or a couple of pinches of crushed red pepper
- In a nonreactive saucepan, heat the vinegar with the salt and sugar until they are dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the cold water. (This gives you a leg up on cooling the liquid.)
- When the vinegar mixture is cool, pack the sugar snaps, garlic, and chili peppers/flakes into a 1-quart or bowl, and pour the brine over to cover. Cover with plastic wrap or a non-reactive lid. Refrigerate for 24 hours, or longer – if you can wait that long!
Source: unknown, but I am extremely thankful!