Yield: 4 servings
Roasting the onions brings out their mellow, sweet flavor. They make a perfect side for grilled chicken, shrimp, or a roast. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Vidalia (or sweet) onions, peeled, each cut into four 1/2-inch slices
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover the onion slices in the olive oil and place them in a single layer in a small roasting dish. Roast them in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until soft.
- Put the oven on broil, and broil the onions for about 3 minutes, until they start to brown on the edges.
- Remove the onions from oven and place them on a platter. Crumble the cheese across the top and sprinkle with the pine nuts and chives. Serve warm.
Adapted from Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America, by Jose Andres