Yield: 6 servings
You will start eating this salad with your eyes and won’t finish until your plate is wiped clean. I used butternut squash, and it only took 20 minutes to roast until tender. Roasting time depends on how large you cut your pieces of squash, so check frequently. Whatever you do, don’t skip the mint.
- 3/4 cup French green lentils
- 6 cups 1-inch pieces peeled seeded sugar pumpkin or butternut squash (from about one 2-pound whole pumpkin)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Place lentils in small bowl. Cover with cold water and soak 10 minutes; drain.
- Cook lentils in boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 30 minutes. Drain lentils. Rinse under cold water, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pumpkin in large bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika, and sea salt. Arrange pumpkin in single layer on baking sheet; roast 20 minutes. Turn pumpkin over. Roast until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool.
- Combine lentils, pumpkin, and oil from baking sheet with arugula, half of goat cheese, mint, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among plates; sprinkle remaining goat cheese over.