Yield: 5 8-ounce jars of jam
Freezer jam has to be the easiest way ever to preserve the taste of summer. Special equipment (jars) and ingredients (instant pectin) are required – and very easy to get! For supplies, ingredients, recipes, ideas, and inspiration, visit this page.
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (about 3-4 baskets)
- 5 tablespoons instant pectin (I use Ball brand)
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries. Use a potato masher to crush the berries into a pulp. Small chunks remaining are fine. It will not break down further. This is your chance to make it as chunky or as smooth as you want it to be.
- In a large bowl, mix the pectin and sugar until combined well. Add the crushed strawberries to the pectin/sugar mixture and stir for 3 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-inch at the top (room for expansion while freezing). Put lids on. Let sit for 30 minutes, then label and freeze. This jam keeps in the freezer for one year. Once opened, keep jam refrigerated and eat it within one month.