Yield: 4 servings
This makes good use of quinoa or bulgur – you can use either one. I’m on a quinoa kick lately, so that’s what I’ve used here. This is one of my favorite grain salads.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, chopped
- ½ bunch mint, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- Rinse 1 cup quinoa thoroughly in cold water. In a small saucepan, toast the quinoa over moderately low heat until it is golden and gives off a nutty aroma.
- In a separate saucepan, boil 1 ¾ cups of salted water. Add boiling water to the toasted quinoa – carefully – it will bubble. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss warm quinoa with lemon juice, oil and salt. Let it sit until it reaches room temperature.
- Combine grain with tomatoes, parsley, mint, onions, and celery. Mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.