Yield: 6-8 servings
This soup is tasty! It’s almost more like a stew. Thick, rich, and full of vegetables, it makes for a satisfying meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (about 3 cups), rinsed and drained
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute celery, onion, and potato along with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add curry, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon and saute for 1 minute to release their scent.
- Add tomatoes with juices and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water along with the lentils and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The soup will thicken – you may need to add more water to achieve your desired consistency.
- Finish the soup with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and cilantro. Add salt, pepper, and additional spices to taste.
Adapted from O Magazine