Yield: about 3 cups
Today I picked up my CSA farm share and was pleased to see beets! My mother-in-law was with me and asked what I was going to do with them. Initially I had visions of roasting them and combining them with walnuts and blue cheese, but then realized I didn’t have time for roasting. Tangy, sweet, and satisfying, this recipe is a great way to dress up raw beets – and impress the in-laws.
- 1 1/2 pounds red beets*, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (think chives, parsley or dill), chopped
- In a medium size bowl, combine orange juice, maple syrup, mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. While whisking constantly, slowly add olive oil until dressing comes together (technical term is “emulsifies”).
- Pour dressing over shredded beets. For best results, refrigerate for an hour or so before serving. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.
* If you have yellow or two-toned beets, you may want to use a white wine vinegar as the balsamic vinegar will turn the salad a muddy brown color.