Yield: 4 servings
This breakfast is a weekly staple at Golden Door, so you know it makes for a healthy start. When you are selecting whole wheat bread, look for brands that have at least 3 grams of fiber per slice. Serve with fruit on the side.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 medium ripe, red tomatoes, each cut into 8 slices
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (2 cups)
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut each slice of toasted bread in half diagonally and arrange the halves on the baking sheet. Top each half with two tomato slices, overlapping them. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the dried Italian seasoning and a little ground black pepper. Top with the grated cheese, covering the bread completely so it does not scorch.
- Place the baking sheet about 5 inches from the heat and cook until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Source: Golden Door Cooks at Home by Chef Dean Rucker