Yield: 8-10 servings
This salad was inspired by a recipe I read for Warm Corn Chowder Salad with Bacon and Cider VInegar in Food and Wine magazine. A few tweaks to ingredients and process made it fit into my repertoire for yummy summer salads. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1/4 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 6-ounce package of Canadian bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 red bell peppers. chopped
- 8 ears of corn, kernels removed (or 6 cups of frozen kernels, thawed)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- While preparing the salad, take the sliced onion and soak it in cold water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat (cast iron is nice here), saute the Canadian bacon until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the oil and the potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the chopped peppers and saute for an additional 10 minutes, until potatoes and peppers are tender.
- Add the corn to the skillet and heat through, stirring to combine, for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the onions from the water. Discard the water. Transfer the onion and vegetables to a large mixing bowl. Toss to coat with apple cider vinegar and crushed red pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.