I’ve been following A Couple Cooks – have you? I was inspired by their Vegan Chickpea Curry and I’ve made a few tweaks. It’s simple and delicious served over quinoa or rice. Worried about making quinoa or rice? I got you. Here is my tip sheet for making gluten-free grains (including quinoa and rice!)
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 TB olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 1 small yellow or zucchini squash, small dice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups of chopped greens (kale, spinach, arugula, chard)
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 15-ounce can coconut milk (freeze the other half for next time!)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, if you’ve got it
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the onion and yellow squash. Season with a good pinch of salt and ground pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, until soft (we call this sweating the vegetables – they are soft, but no color).
- Add the ginger, curry powder, cumin, salt, coriander, and garlic powder. Stir for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the greens to the pot. Stir them gently until wilted.
- Add the chickpeas and the tomatoes to the pot. Mix to combine and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stir to combine, and turn off the heat. Serve curry over rice or quinoa, garnished it with fresh chopped cilantro.