To keep this chili vegetarian, simply skip the ground chicken and add two additional 15-ounce cans of beans.
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 TB olive oil
- ¾ cup minced onion (about 1 small)
- 1 ½ cups chopped green chilies (fresh or canned)
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 TB dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 15-ounce cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese, for topping (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the green chilies, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Push the vegetables to the edges of the pot and add the ground chicken. Crumble the chicken and cook it until done, about 3-5 minutes. Stir the chicken and onion mixture together.
- Add the beans to the pot; stir to combine. Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve topped with shredded cheese, if desired.