Yield: 4-6 servings
This recipe is really verstaile. Substitute arugula or spinach for the Spring greens, dried apricots or cranberries for the raisins, and use your favorite toasted nuts. I used pepitas. I did not use all the dressing, but I saved what remained for other salads this week – it’s delicious!
Ingredients for vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Ingredients for salad:
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or salted water)
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mixed Spring greens
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour. You will know it’s ready when it “butterflies” and has a pleasurably chewy texture. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, shallot, vinegar, mustard, and garlic. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine wild rice with nuts, raisins, radishes, and greens. Dress mixture with the prepared vinaigrette. Save any leftover vinaigrette for other uses.
Adapted from epicurious.com