Yield: 4 servings (1 1/4 cup)
This tasty soup is simple, satisfying, and quick – thanks to the quick-cooking barley, which I usually find near rice in the grocery store. It’s a great way to use leftover chicken, or turkey.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, 1 3/4 cups water, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 23 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken and barley; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 208; Fat 3.9 g; Protein 15.4 g; Carb 28.4 g; Fiber 6g.
Source: Southern Living