Yield: 1 loaf
We have Ocean Spray to thank for this recipe. Yep. It comes from the back of the Ocean Spray Cranberry bag. The women in my family have made it for years. Enjoy!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or grape seed oil
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside. I also cut a square of parchment paper and lay it in the bottom of the bread pan to ensure easy removal.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients – orange juice, oil, orange zest, and egg.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix well until blended. Add cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with reserved chopped walnuts. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
Source: Ocean Spray