This salad was a customer favorite at Flagstone Pantry. Cook lentils in salted boiling water, like you would pasta, then add them to the salad. I have lots of recipes for any leftover lentils – just use the search function to find them!
GREEN POWER SALAD
YIELD: a generous quart
Ingredients for salad:
- 1 bunch kale (can be black or curly kale – it really doesn’t matter), chopped
- 1 cup cooked lentils (can be French lentils or green lentils)
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1/2 an English cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds or pinenuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 TB honey
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Chop the kale leaves and set aside in a bowl.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, and pour a few tablespoons of dressing into the bowl with the chopped kale. Using your hands, massage the kale for 1-2 minutes until leaves are dark green and slightly wilted.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, apple, cucumber, nuts and Parmesan.
- Combine the kale with the other salad ingredients, then pour remaining dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.