Yield: 1 cup
These days, the backyard basil patch lives only in my dreams. This “pesto” is a great way to brighten up winter and make the most of lemon season. Bright and tangy, it’s delicious on grilled chicken or fish and makes a lively topping for vegetables and pasta.
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Cut the lemon into 6 wedges and remove the skins and seeds. Place the lemon sections, shallot, and garlic in the food processor. Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the almonds, paprika, and vinegar. Puree again until smooth.
- With the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream until fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt.
Note: Simply toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until light golden and fragrant.
Adapted from Delicious Living