Yield: 6 quarts
This hearty soup is delicious. I served it with equally hearty and delicious Irish Soda Bread. For a vegetarian option, leave the sausage out and use vegetable broth.
- 1 pound brown lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups diced yellow onions (3 large)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme, crushed
- 3 cups medium diced celery (8 stalks)
- 3 cups medium diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3 quarts (12 cups) chicken broth
- 4 pre-cooked spicy chicken sausages, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving, optional
- Rinse lentils in a strainer and pick out any debris. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and thyme for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender.
- Add the celery, carrots and tomato paste. Mix to combine. Saute for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add the sausage and vinegar and simmer until heated through. Serve sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from foodnetwork.com