Yield: 1 10-inch pie (serves 4)
This is like a deep dish pizza with a cornmeal crust. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods, straight out of the Moosewood Cookbook. Enjoy!
Ingredients for crust:
- 1.5 cups coarse cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- a little olive oil
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- about 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or 2 tablespoons fresh basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- fresh black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 small, or 1 medium, ripe tomato, sliced
- Combine cornmeal, salt, and cold water in a small bowl. Have the boiling water on the stove in a saucepan, and add the cornmeal mixture, whisking. Cook about 10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently. It will get very thick. Remove from heat, and let cool until you can handle it.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 10-inch pie pan. Add the polenta, and use a spatula and wet hands to form it into a smooth, thick crust over the bottom and sides of the pan. Brush the surface with olive oil, and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onion, and saute for 5-8 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini, and saute just a few minutes more.
- Turn up the oven to broiling temperature. Sprinkle half the cheese onto the bottom of the baked crust, then add the tomato slices. Spread the sauteed mixture over the tomatoes, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Broil until brown (about 5 minutes) and serve hot.
Source: Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen