Yield: 4 servings
Rock fish does not have a lot of fat, so roasting it with a chunky tomato sauce helps keep it moist. This recipe is easily doubled.
- 4 5-ounce rock fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, vegetable broth, garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. You want it to remain loose and somewhat chunky. You can always add more broth if it gets too thick.
- While the sauce simmers, prepare a large baking dish by rubbing it with olive oil and sprinkling it with salt and pepper. Arrange the fish in a single layer in the baking dish. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and cover it with lemon slices.
- Spoon the prepared tomato sauce over the fish and cover the baking dish with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the fish easily flakes with a fork. Enjoy!