This simple jam tart is delightful. Make one dough. Use 2/3 of it to line the tart pan and sprinkle the remainder on top, along with pine nuts, for a crumble-like topping. I like to use apricot preserves, but any variety will work. Use a tart pan with a removable bottom. The jam layer is thin. Trust the recipe. It’s enough!
Yield: one 9-inch tart
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¾ cup fruit jam
- Heat oven to 350°. Generously spray tart pan with pan release. Place it on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolk.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add in flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the jam to loosen it. Gently press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. With the back of a spoon, gently spread the jam over the dough. Sprinkle the remaining dough over the top of the jam. Sprinkle the pine nuts on top of the dough.
- Bake until top is golden, about 25 – 30 minutes. Cool completely and remove from tart pan. Slice and serve.