Yield: 4 servings
This “stew” comes together in minutes. If you add a rind of Parmesan cheese to the pot in Step 2, it will add a lovely depth of flavor found in more time-consuming soups. Feel free to substitute spinach for baby arugula. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 ¾ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups if you’ve cooked them yourself)
- 1 6-ounce package of Canadian bacon, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 5-ounce bag of baby arugula
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and stir until it is golden, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth, cannellini beans, Canadian bacon, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the arugula and cook until wilted, for 1 to 2 minutes.