Yield: 1 9×5 loaf
The cayenne is your secret weapon. It’s adds a subtle heat and depth to the spice mix. You can skip it, of course, but it’s not recommended…
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces (1/2 can) pure pumpkin
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 350. Spray a bread pan (9×5) with non-stick spray and line just the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake bread for 1 hour. Use a toothpick to test for doneness (if done, a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread will come out clean/moist with no crumbs/batter).
- Allow bread to cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Run a spatula around the edge of the bread in the pan. Remove the loaf from the pan and peel the parchment paper off of the bottom of the loaf. Cool completely. Freezes well!